Reading, Writing, and Reflecting
Welcome to my blog- Reading, Writing, and Reflecting- Apurva Desai’s Musings and Observations. The phrase Reading, Writing, and Reflecting was uttered by many people I’m sure and is a philosophy I believe keeps the mind fresh, curious, and enriched and thus, the reason for this blog.
Topics of particular interest include:
- Internet, Social Media, and Mobile technologies: I’ve spent the last several years working for companies in these industries and have become particularly interested in the social media advances over the last couple of years.
- Sports: A lifelong sports fan, I’m particularly interested in professional and collegiate competitive sports along with the globalization, business, and social aspects of sport, viewed from an analytical angle.
- India: After my most recent trip to India in December 2008, I’ve become even more fascinated with the challenges opportunities facing this country.
- Globalization and International Travel: I’ve always been interested in international affairs, policies, trends and demographics and particularly enjoy traveling around the world. I’ve had the luxury of traveling many times to Europe and India and recently have had trips to China and Hong Kong. I hope to write about these travel experiences along with thoughts about other international issues.
- Education, Social and Public policy: Particularly linked to how technology, education, and energy practices can help drive better living standards around the world.
I’m particularly interested in the intersection of these above topics as technology and globalization begin to impact all areas of life. As the title of the blog suggests, I will often post about passages of articles, books, or other media that I have read to offer my perspective or to share with others.
About Apurva Desai
I am based in Silicon Valley in the San Francisco Bay Area. Professional experiences I have had include:
- CFO at Vuclip, a mobile video media company focused on emerging markets
- Financial Planning and Analysis, Business Intelligence, Sales Operations, and Facilities at Exponential, a pre-IPO digital advertising company based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Finance & Accounting, Printing Operations, Human Resources, and other Administration at Scrapblog, an online photo and scrapbooking company based in San Francisco and funded by Disney’s VC arm.
- Finance, Treasury, Investor Relations for Glu Mobile, a NASDAQ listed public mobile gaming and content company with locations in SF Bay Area, London, Beijing, Sao Paulo, and Moscow.
- Operations and Finance for Yahoo! properties including Mail, Messenger, and Photos.
- Wi-Max and Internet Services for Intel
- Financial Auditing and SAP consulting for Ernst & Young in Chicago
- MBA and CPA
This page has the following sub pages.